Every country has its botanical treasures, the greatest of which are so important to the society that they become pillars of the culture. In South America, Palo Santo Wood is one such treasure. The Palo Santo uses and healing powers are so numerous that it has been part of the South American culture for centuries. Its smoke is so powerful that it has become a staple in sacred rituals, becoming an essential energy tool for Shamans and saints alike. And its aroma is just incredible—very fresh smelling with hints of mint and citrus—proving to be one of the most fragrant woods in the world. Because of the extraordinary blessings that it bestows on those who have the good fortune to use it, over time, plant-medicines, such as Palo Santo Wood, have reached divine-like status in the hearts and minds of people all over the world.
Palo Santo is a sacred wood that comes from the magical Palo Santo tree, native to the coast of South America. Its name literally means holy wood, and it is just that. When it is burned, the smoke is believed to have both medicinal and therapeutic healing power. Traditionally, it is burned by Incas, indigenous people of the Andes, Shamans and medicine people for spiritual purifying, energy cleansing and healing. Some of the most well-known Palo Santo uses include inspiring creativity, evoking protection, infusing blessings and bringing both love and good fortune. It is a wonderful tool to use before and during your meditation. Its uplifting scent helps to raise your vibration to bring a deeper connection to the Earth and your divine source.
For physical healing, Palo Santo benefits include relieving symptoms of common colds, stress, headaches, anxiety, inflammation, emotional trauma and more. It is also wonderful for setting and sealing in your intentions with.
How to Use Palo Santo
The Palo Santo uses will provide energetic protection, remove any bad energy, uplift your spirit and fill your home with blessings.
- Light your Palo Santo stick.
- Let the stick catch fire, and allow it to burn for about 30 seconds. Then, gently blow out the flame. If needed, you can blow on the embers to keep the smoke going throughout the process.
- Say aloud or silently, “I ask that the plant spirit of Palo Santo please infuse this space with blessings.”
- To fill your space with blessings, start at the front door and walk clockwise through it with your Palo Santo. To bless yourself, your space or crystals, simply allow the smoke and rich smell of the Palo Santo to fill the room.
- When you are finished, place your Palo Santo stick in a fireproof container. The glow at the end of the stick will eventually go out on its own. Unlike conventional incense, which burns out completely after lighting it, your Palo Santo wood may be relit many, many times.